Sunday, December 23, 2012

Better than free peanuts

Fun Fact: our taste buds are sensitive to altitude (air pressure and humidity), which means how we perceive the taste of food while on an airplane is different than how we taste food on the ground.

This, I figure, is why Sprite is so much better when I'm in the air, and why I can't tolerate those Alaska Airlines snack packs the moment the plane touches down (but gobble them up when I'm flying).

The latter could be out of hunger, though.  Ever since airplanes stopped serving free meals, I always get hungry on the plane.  On Thursday, however, I had the perfect accidental solution.  (So... no pictures, because I wasn't doing this on purpose.  Sorry!)

At the end of each semester, we have to completely clean out our fridges.  Since I mostly cook for myself now, I had a lot of food to deal with in a short period of time.  Most of it got eaten, sent off to a friend's house for the month, or was non-perishable and is staying in my room.  That left me with a small block of sharp cheddar cheese, some prosciutto, and a lot of pita bread (I mis-estimated my pita eating abilities, apparently.)  A small enough amount of food to just throw in my bag and take home with me.

Then I remembered I'd be flying at lunch time.  Lunch would be... a really good addition to my bag.  Cheese and prosciutto go really well together, and bread is bread.  All I needed was something to cut the cheese with.  My pocketknife was out, because security, so I grabbed a plastic spoon and hoped for the best.

I, in fact, received the best.  Plastic spoons are surprisingly adept at slicing cheese, and pita sandwiches are far less messy than regular sandwiches.  Besides, it was delicious.  I'd highly recommend it next time you fly... I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat airplane snacks again.

Of course, that was also my last flight to and from college in my college career, and probably my last flight in a while, so maybe I'll have forgotten when next time rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment