Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Last Cinnabon Pretzel

The sandwich shop on campus sells this amazing confection known as Cinnabon Pretzels.  I first had one on my 19th birthday, freshman year of college.  Nearly three and a half years later, the Cinnabon Pretzel is still my favorite thing to get at the sandwich shop - the perfect sweet treat for when you just... really need something sweet (that isn't candy).

However, the place doesn't always have them in stock.  Over the past couple weeks, I've gone in three or four times, asking if they happen to have any Cinnabon Pretzels available.  Friday night, I walked up to the counter once more... "I have a question..."

The woman at the register smiled.  "Yes."  But she cut off my excitement.  "But no more.  They've been discontinued, so this is the last box."

After a quick conversation in Spanish and broken English with someone else behind the counter, she confirmed that they won't be getting any more Cinnabon Pretzels, and are trying to look for something equivalent.

So, on Friday, February 22nd... I ordered my last Cinnabon Pretzel.


Yeah, I had to commemorate it with a photograph.

As much as I'm sad, I knew the day would come - I'm graduating in just a couple months.

Besides, now that I've started food experimenting more, I see this as an opportunity - another chance to try to mimic a favorite food.  (Uhhh... the first one should get posted here eventually.  Crab and Salmon bisque, stay posted for a recipe.)

Instead of just consuming, my boyfriend and I picked it apart carefully, examining the cinnamon chips, the texture of the dough... hoping to unlock the secret behind the amazing confection.  Soon we'll start baking.

Right now, I have pretzel recipes and Cinnabon cinnamon roll recipes at my disposal.  The frosting is just a cream cheese frosting, so that's easy.  The rest is going to be more difficult.

I'll keep all of you posted.

In the meantime, the sandwich shop has a delicious cream cheese filled pretzel I just discovered last week.  And, of course, Nachos.

No comments:

Post a Comment