Sunday, April 14, 2013

Butter!

At the very start of the semester, I found myself with a box of scone mix that needed making.  I'd brought it down from Washington as a treat for a couple of friends who happen to love fair scones.  The mix requires a small amount of heavy cream, and I ended up with most of a bottle left over.

After using the cream for a couple of weeks in my hot chocolate (to approximate having used milk in the first place), I realized we really needed to use it up fast.  So, remembering all the Bill Nye videos and whatever about making butter, I figured... hey!  Let's give it a try!

I found an old pasta sauce jar, dumped in the cream, and started shaking it.  For a long time.  (Maybe half an hour, trading off with a friend while we made dinner).

Seriously, if you haven't done this ever, you should try it.  It's a fascinating process.  For a while you just have cream, then whipped cream, then suddenly it becomes butter.


After that, you just have to strain out the buttermilk, and... viola!  Butter!

I probably put it on fresh bagels or something, because really - why not?






And everything that was left got stuffed into a butter dish, so we could store it.  I'd call that a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment