Monday, April 22, 2013

The Sourdough Starter that Couldn't

I've been wanting to make a sourdough starter for a while.  I love me a good sourdough, and I've yet to make a bread that truly lives up to my expectations for what good bread should be.  I thought maybe I could pull it off with sourdough.

The plan had been to wait until I am home after graduation and then try it, but over spring break, I just couldn't wait.

I'd done some research, and it didn't look like a starter was that hard.  So I threw together some flour, water, and yeast, mixed it up, added more flour and water every day, and then... it started forming this weird liquid.  I stirred in the liquid and kept going.

Then I was browsing the bread subreddit, and someone was asking about their sourdough starter.  One comment was "if it forms a clear liquid, dump it off, and then keep feeding".

"Oh, okay, I was wondering what to do about that" I responded.
"Yeah, it's alcohol made from yeast dying" they told me.

Cool, my starter was making alcohol.

I poured it off and kept feeding.

It didn't work.

I decided to make some bread with what starter I had available.  The bread looked great, if not a bit flat, but tasted... weird. 




As is often the case with my cooking, everyone around me loved it but I didn't - It was bread, and it was good bread, but it didn't taste right.

So I asked for help on the bread subreddit.  And I was told - you did it wrong.

You aren't supposed to use yeast, they told me.  You should start over.  Maybe find a recipe that uses pineapple juice.  And don't forget to discard half of it when you feed.  (Whoops.)

I found a recipe and added pineapple juice to it.  I bought some rye flour to start a stronger starter.  At first, it worked beautifully.  The rye starter began to overflow out of the jar.  Then I switched to all purpose flour, like my recipe said I should do.

And suddenly it started fermenting again.  No rise, just alcohol.

After a bit of research and some thinking, I discovered my problem this time was my flour - I was using bleached flour.  You know what bleach does to things?  It kills them.

Whoooooops.

So I contacted King Arthur Flour's live baking help chat, and explained the situation.

"Do you think I can remedy it or should I start over?" I asked.
"Is it pink?"
"No"
"Does it smell putrid?"
"No"
"Then you should be able to fix it!"

She gave me instructions and told me to expect results shortly.

I was even more careful.  I drew sharpie lines on the jar to see if the starter was rising at all.

Surprise!

It wasn't.

I was told to wait for it to rise and then feed it before it starts falling.

How was I to do that if it wasn't rising?

I sent an email to the baking helpline.  They told me to watch for bubbles, and to feed it before the bubbles died down.

I watched for bubbles, and it started to ferment before the bubbles changed at all.

By that point, classes had started and I didn't have time to worry about this anymore.  I'd made a lot of mistakes and wasted a lot of flour trying to rectify them.  (No flour actually got wasted, but I have a lot of dead starter I need to bake with now).  I decided it would be better to start over, and start over when I'm at home and have better flour and more time.

And then I put the starter in the freezer to wait to be baked with.  It's a good thing I like sourdough banana bread.

--------------

If you'd like to try your own starter, I'd recommend checking out King Arthur Flour's blog.  They have a post on starting a starter which is probably a functional recipe, and they also have a post on maintaining your starter.  If you get stuck, they have live chat online and a telephone hotline to help you.

I can say for sure that they've made a customer out of me with their resources.  And their fantastic flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment